Prepping lunch for the week
10 Steps for a week of healthy lunches
Making lunch for the work week has always been a chore. Even worse is trying to throw together a lunch before going to work. Often times it means a burger, subway, or something not healthy. I spend 30 mins a week on Sunday afternoon making lunches for the week with my catch. Here is this week's lunch and my 10 step process that takes about 30 mins.
1) I pulled out 4 packs of Black rockfish. I seal my rockfish 2 fillets to a bag to make things easy.
2) Fire up the rice cooker with long grain brown rice
3) Finish trimming, pull bones, etc....
3) Season them up and let them set
4) Fire up the large skillet, mist with EVOO and wait for it to get hot
5) Cook the fish - I cook to almost done so that when I re-heat at work it cooks the rest of the way through.
6) While the fish is cooking empty 1/2 bag of mixed veggies and 1/3 bag of edamame into a glass bowl, add a little salt, cover and microwave till almost done. Again - almost done so that they do not overcook when I reheat at work.
7) Gather my tupperware for the week
8) Portion the rice on the bottom, veggies next, and fish on top.
9) Repeat 8 times
10) Seal up and put in the refrigerator, top shelf, in front, so I don't forget to grab one in the morning on the way out.
|Fish, rice and veggies all cooked up!!!|
|Rice, veggies, then fish :)|
|8 Lunches - 4 for me, 4 for Joan|
As I always try to mention, I am not perfect. There is usually a pot luck being put on one day, a vendor lunch, or something during the week where I just want a slice of Old School pizza or something, so by making 4 I leave myself the opportunity to have 1 lunch out during the week. Just a slight change in lifestyle that makes a huge difference in calorie intake.
Keeping the freezer full of fresh fish is fun and rewarding. Yeah, when the freezer gets empty, it can be tough, but the Tilapia Tenderloins from Costco as well as the Salmon Patties are a good, healthy substitute.
I think I am worth taking 30 mins out of my Sunday evening boob tube time to set myself up for some good lunches during the week.