Sunday, March 18, 2012

Went with a couple of NWKA.org guys to the salt for the first time.  Had a blast and learned a lot.  This is an excerpt from my write up on that site.

Going to a serious note here:

The ocean is NO JOKE!!!  I am thankful that I did not break anything or lose more today.  I joined the Huli-club twice today.  Both times on launch.  I made a couple of HUGE mistakes and learned some great lessons today that I would like to share....

1)  Mirage drive is not the be-all end-all means of propelling your yak.  I only brought half my paddle with the t-handle as that is what I was used to having in the lakes.  WRONG ANSWER!!!  I need to learn how to propel that aircraft carrier with the paddle to be able to surf launch....period....  I bent up my fins trying to rush and get moving.....luckily I was able to bend them back, but I will be purchasing a new pair.  I finally was able to get out past the breakers with Rav and Jp's assistance, but after huli'ing twice in what is really smallish surf, I was wiped out....

2)  Plastic clips on leashes are a joke in the surf.  I almost lost my mirage drive on my second huli.  The leash held, but the plastic clip broke.  Luckily the drive was right beside me when I righted myself after getting tossed.  LEASH EVERYTHING!!!  I did lose my beanie cap, my knife, and a pair of gloves.  The knife was in the side pocket on the PA, but not leashed.  The beanie and gloves I stuffed under the seat....never again.

3)  Stretch out before peddling/paddling.....Cramps suck!!!  Made for a very long drive home.

Out on the water was a blast.  A couple of marine mammals were checking us out and it was just nice to be on the ocean.  I think Jp had a close encounter with one.  With no beanie or gloves, the gale sleet/rain storm that hit us after we got out past the sunken jetty was no joke.  I finally made it to the rocks and hooked the bottom a few times.  Gave me some experience working with my rods in the swells and currents.  Much different than trying to tie a knot in mono on a lake.  Rav hooked into a few, but none landed.  I got to watch one take his rod down and shake about 3 times and get off, but that was it for pescado.

I need to work on my core strength, leg endurance, and get more rest before heading out in the surf again.  Feeling good, but sore, crampy, and tired.  Good things to come in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment